13 Things You (Likely) Didn’t Know About Your Cat
They’re cute, cuddly, and clever. You spend hours with them daily. On occasion they can be stubborn, but you love them anyway. Every feline as its own unique personality, however there are some things that all domestic cats have in common… and some of them you might not be aware of.
Below are 13 things you likely didn’t know about cats.
1. Cats don’t have collarbones – this allows them the flexibility to fit through openings the size of their heads.
2. The primary use of a cat’s whiskers is to determine if he or she can fit through an opening.
3. According to two psychologists at Queen’s University Belfast, female cats tend to be right-handed, while male cats favor the left.
4. Grown cats rarely, if ever, meow at one another. As kittens, cats meow to ask things of their mothers – so if your grown cat talks to you, it may be an indication that he or she sees you as a maternal figure.
5. A cat can jump up to five times its own height in a single bound.
6. Kittens lose their “baby” teeth at around 6 months old.
7. There are 40 recognized breeds of domestic cats in the world.
8. The biggest domestic cat breed is the Maine Coon.
9. Cats can purr while inhaling and exhaling. This is a technique that we simply cannot imitate.
10. A group of cats is called a clowder.
11. The average cat has about 130,000 hairs per square inch.
12. While you may think your cat is narcoleptic, it’s natural for them to spend a lot of time napping. The average cat spends roughly 2/3 of its life sleeping.
13. The lifespan of the average cat is between 15 and 20 years.